Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cook Books:

There are 3 basic cookbooks, that every cook should own: The Joy of Cooking, How to Cook Everything and Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I know many people say that Julia Child's brainchild is no longer practical, but I don't care. Even with my nutrition education, I will gladly select one of her recipes over any other, without blinking an eye at the amount of butter used. I cherish my vintage, well loved and well used, 1967 copy. Plus, my fiance loves the boeuf bourguignon, and I'm more than happy to spend hours in the kitchen with a glass of red wine in hand, and my favorite Fats Waller serenade, while I cook away. He is a lucky man, indeed.

Outside of those three, I have to admit: it takes a lot for me to actually buy a cookbook. I know plenty of cooks and foodies who religiously collect them, but not me. I usually wont go the extra mile to purchase a cookbook unless it has that extra something that really catches my eye. As a trained cook, nutritionist, and an aspiring food scientist, I like to think I can create most anything from scratch, with little tastes here or there to make sure the flavor is just right.

That being said, I don't know everything there is to know about cooking, so when I do find a cookbook that introduces me to something new, I snatch it up, take it home and begin to play. Through years of aimlessly browsing new/used book stores, I have built up a divine little selection, each with it's own special something that won my heart.

I'm far too tired to introduce you to any tonight, but I do promise to divulge some of my favorites in the coming weeks. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Spaceghostster said...

Also, if you can find it, Out of Vermont Kitchens is a fabulous vintage book, mine being published in the 1930's that has outstanding home cooking from the area. Also, Marcella Hazan's : The Classic Italian Cookbook is a great base for Italian cooking down to the way to chop your garlic.