Monday, January 3, 2011

Mac 'n' Cheese:

When I was in college, I had the good fortune to work at the most fabulous shop in Providence, Rhode Island. Farmstead, Inc. is a neighborhood cheese shop located in Wayland Square on the East Side of Providence (not East Providence, two completely separate worlds).

My first encounter with this little gem happened as followed: On a brisk fall day, while exploring my new neighborhood, I wondered over to Wayland Square where I was greeted with a delicious sidewalk sampling of cheddar cheeses. After (numerous) samples, I meandered off the sidewalk, and into the store. With one foot in the door, I was hit with the most enticing smells a foodie could ask for: an air of salty cheeses, the tang of an open brine bar complete with olives, pickles and the like, and the subtle hint of fresh baked cupcakes wafting in from the in-house kitchen. Though I wasn't necessarily looking for a job, I immediately walked to the counter and asked if they were hiring. To my luck, they were. I figured if I had to spend a portion of my day doing something productive, it might as well be spent somewhere that smells absolutely fabulous. Though my time at Farmstead was short (alas, I had to focus more on school requirements than my growing cheese obsession..), it's safe to say that Owner's Matt and Kate Jennings made a life long fan out of me.

I whole heartedly encourage anyone within the Boston/Providence area to stop by Farmstead to sample some cheeses. (Don't pass up the opportunity to visit the New England Bistro, La Laiterie, owned and operated by the Jennings, for a sure to be amazing sit down meal, or their newest addition, Farmstead Lunch, located in down city Providence, a condensed but equally delightful version of the full store). Keep in mind, the pastry and dessert selection are beyond amazing. Made from scratch and always fresh, pastry chef, Kate Jennings delivers the perfect amount of sweet to balance out the salt and brine. I used to count down the days until she would inform me that she was baking a fresh batch of bread pudding, only because it meant that I would be able to sneak a piece of the old one before tossing it out. Heaven.

Below are two versions of Mac 'n' Cheese, the first is Chef Matt Jennings' recipe (served daily at La Laiterie). The second is from a wildly talented California based food blogger, Heidi Swanson, who creates some of the most amazing vegan/vegetarian recipes that I have come across. One recipe is the absolute ideal of the perfect Mac 'n' Cheese, while the other is a splendid, yet still (relatively) healthy substitute. Both are guaranteed to satisfy your Mac 'n' Cheese craving, from the rich, creamy sauce to the crunchy, crumb topping. Enjoy.

(Note: If you are a cheese fan, be sure to check out Culture Cheese Magazine for all of the latest and greatest happenings in the cheese world. Though it is only published 4 times a year, you will no doubt be twiterpated when the newest issue arrives in your mail!)

No comments: