Friday, October 12, 2012

Book Review:

The Best Food Writing 2011 Edited by Holly Hughes

Now that 2012 is almost over, it's a good thing I finally got around to reading a compilation of the best food writing of 2011! The thing I love about food writing compilations is that, when properly edited, the books instantly become the perfect bedside companion. Sadly, I've read quite a few that didn't quite make the cut for perfection. Their entries were often too long for a quick read before bed. Their content lacked flow from page to page. I've even read the occasional "Best Of" book, who's content, honestly shouldn't have been considered the best of anything. But you can rest assured that everything those other compilation books lacked, this book delivers!

Holly Hughes is a writer/editor who knows good prose, and has been proving so since her first "Best Food Writing," dating back to 2000. I felt that each selected article in the 2011 edition had earned it's spot in this book. There was no skimming or skipping, not once did my mind wander or did I drift off to sleep mid-sentence. The selected content covers a wide variety of topics and locals, yet they effortlessly flow from one to the next. My only wish is that there had been a few more recipes, but I guess it goes to show that you don't need to teach people how to cook to help them appreciate the food!

And the best part? Ms. Hughes is coming out with a "Best Food Writing of 2012," too. Which means that in just a few short weeks -- publication date: October 23, 2012 to be exact -- we can dive into her selections one more time, and hopefully time and time again for years to come.

1 comment:

Yuliya said...

so review for 2013 book is forthcoming?

I have been a reading machine lately...until I became a 9-5 drone again.

COME COOK QUICHE WITH ME :) it always looks better and tastes better when you're around