Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Winter Dinner:

Photos Unknown


Is there anything better than a perfectly roasted chicken? When the skin is salty and crisp while the meat inside remains steaming and juicy? I think not, and a craving for a perfectly roasted chicken is exactly what inspired this post. I'm often called upon by family members and close friends to recommend a delicious idea for a party, a dinner, a pot-luck, etc. You name it, I've helped plan it! I would like to think it's because I know amazing recipes off the top of my head, but in all honesty, I think it's mostly because I know a good recipe when I see it.

I spend hours perusing food blogs and book marking recipes to try. I wish I could try all of them but for the most part, I bookmark it because the steps look right, the spices sound divine and more often than not the picture makes me drool. Of course, more thought goes in to it than that, but I wouldn't want to give away all of my reasonings, for fear that everyone will figure out my tricks and sadly, stop calling me for help! So instead of making myself completely unneeded, I'm going to put together some sample menus, using recipes I've tagged along the way.

None of this is cutting edge, or trend setting, thats not the kind of cook that I am. I'm more interested in homestyle cuisine, the kind of food that fills you up and keeps you feeling warm and cozy. So, if I were cooking a winter's dinner tonight (which I'm not, not in the mood) or planning on cooking dinner for friends in the upcoming days, I would cook the following meal: it's filling, it's seasonal, and it's sure to be tasty.

The Perfect Warm Dinner for a Cold Winter Night

Fine Cooking's : Roasted Chicken

Real Simple's : Sweet Potatoes

Simply Recipe's : Sauteed Kale

Sunday Supper's : Shaved Fennel and Orange Salad

Matt Bite's : Pear Tart

1 comment:

Yuliya said...

I like this idea and we should make it before winter is over :)