Sunday, January 16, 2011

Maple Lollipops:

A family member of mine posted a recipe for Maple Lollipops on facebook the other day and they sounded so wonderful that I just had to give it a try. I'm all for quick, easy recipes, especially when they yield an amazing treat. Her recipe goes as followed: "Maple syrup boiled to 235ºF and poured on clean snow fresh from my backyard. Roll it up on a popsicle stick and voilà!"

Yep. It's that simple, and oh so sweet. Thanks Ruby for the delicious idea!

After doing a little research, I've discovered some info about Maple Lollipops: This candy's origin can be traced back to the Native Indians in the Eastern Part of Canada who made their treats a little differently, by simply simmering pure maple sugar sap for 3-4 hours (no candy thermometer needed). Also, the recipe that Ruby described is 100% pure maple syrup, which produces a super sweet, some what taffy like maple lollipop. To achieve a smooth, hard, glass-like candy like the one I have pictured, you need to add some glucose to the maple syrup to keep crystallization at bay. The author at Not So Humble Pie has already written an excellent description of sugar science, so to keep from being redundant, I suggest you head over to her blog for the in depth explanation.

Whichever recipe you choose, your lollipops are bound to be good! I think I like Ruby's idea the best though, there is something about the combination of pure, unadulterated maple syrup and freshly fallen snow that makes these pops sound like the ultimate mid-winter treat. I can just imagine spending sometime making these and then curling up next to the fire with my love while we enjoy this sweet treat.

No comments: