Monday, January 10, 2011

Lovely Kitchens: Extra Splash of Color

{1}

Photo via WeHeartIt

{2}

Photo via Black Apple

{3}

Photo via Martha Stewart


I've moved a lot over the last 5 years. Between Dallas, Providence, Pittsburgh, New Zealand, Newport and Chicago, I've yet to actually stay put in one spot for more than one year. Because of this, my collection of nice furniture has suffered. I've purchased and subsequently sold what seems like an entire house worth of furniture. Which is why, I'm not ashamed to admit, when my neighbor put a perfectly good bookcase out for trash yesterday, I snatched it right up! I've been looking for a way to expand the work surface of my galley kitchen, and my newest addition does just that!

One problem: it's not my style. I doubt any french farmhouse would have a boring, plain, wooden bookcase. So to remedy the situation, I've resolved to insert a design onto the backsplash. I haven't decided which avenue to take: Trendy? Classic? Solid? Which ever I choose, I know I will love it. I like the idea of this DIY project, since we're on the move again come July, it's just not practical to commit to paint/wall paper in the current abode. This seems like a quick fix to bring my personality to every aspect of my favorite room in the house: the kitchen. It also seems easy enough to apply to future cabinetry selections. I've always wanted a kitchen with glass doors on the cabinets to display my antique bone china collection (which I've yet to acquire, what with all of the moving, but will have once my honey and I select a final local). I see this trend being easily incorporated into my future dream kitchen.

No comments: